Skip to main content

To Read, or not to Click is the question



This is in response to the recent article by Vulture and The Guardian about bookstagrammerswhich was so uncalled for. Describing them as annoying, pretentious readers, and who are likely to depress others by sharing pictures of them while reading or throwing themselves in a pile of books, for Instagram. Of Course, I am a book blogger, and I couldn't help but pen my thought and  disagree with how the article has portrayed us. It left me feeling livid, hence, I had to note my say and defend our book blogging community on the ongoing debate. Coz,  hello!  It's 2018, let people enjoy the things they love doing, reading and clicking pictures of books,  for instance. 

Credit: pinterest
Am I even a real reader, if I throw myself in a pile of open books, just coz I wish to show how much I love the smell of freshly printed books and that I can easily fall prey of it?
Am I even a real reader, if I buy books with pretty covers, only to read them later and discuss with my other bookworms?
Am I even a real reader, if I display the number of books piled up in my bookshelf, whilst checking off my TBR list?
Am I even a real reader, if I make use of the Autumn season with dry leaves, and a pumpkin to go with my current read, just so I can make my picture look aesthetics and gain ‘Unearned Likes”?
Am I even a real reader, if I keep a mug of coffee on a table along with my journal and more books to make it look unreal?
Am I even a real reader, if I use books as props and set them down for just a moment, a cup of steaming coffee set to one side, wool-sock-clad feet in the frame but not a hint of pants. All that for Instagram?
Maybe you are not qualified to be called a reader. Well, at least according to some people. One must eliminate all the above-aforementioned condition and read books in silent, or at least not show off or talk about it on Instagram page, i.e, if you are a realistic reader. Mind you, there are Vultures and other book Guardians eyeing on us, bibliophile (pun intended). They may start judging you, call you annoying or someone who doesn't have time to read, but buy books only to take a picture and post them, or worst to worst tag you as somebody who is willing to depress other’s life.
But, truth be told, how much do they know about Bookstagrammers? A community filled with book-loving individuals, who love to read (correction: re-read.), review books, create group/buddy reading session, discuss their favourite literature characters, and yes, of course, take attractive pictures to share and encourage people to read. And, maybe, just maybe, some may find it unappealing to see us getting bonded over bookish discussions and clicking striking book post. What does it matter?  if we use books as a prop, FYI, we do actually read them and share our views with our followers. What does it matter?  if we drape our bodies around books and find comfort in it? What does it matter? if we fan out our long hairs on the things we love and feel the calm from the chaos that is around us, at least for a moment.
To clear off the doubts you have on Bookstagrammers… some food for thought to all those who are uninformed about the fact that there is more to book blogging than just about taking pretty pictures as well as surrounding ourselves with piles of open paperbacks. Thank me later.
Credit: pinterest
No, we don’t just use Instagram to post pictures of our books collection just so that people will envy us, or it will make them feel depressed. We do it, coz we want to encourage others to read. What harm does one see in that? Also, if you must know, reading books can educate you, better your memory and increase empathy. Make note.
No, posting bookish related posts are not to annoy anyone, we just love to share the pleasure we feel when we are about to devour the 'intellectual' knowledge filled in literature world.
No, we just don’t cosy up for the camera, we actually prep ourselves with all the necessities, Coffee? Check. Blankie? Check. Woollen socks? Check. Open books? Double Check. That’s how we prepare ourselves before delving in the fictional world where you are no longer vulnerable.
No, we don’ t wish to share few titles of the books we are reading. Some things are better left unknown (Also, we love Mystery.). But, if it intrigues you, we are always welcome to recommend the book.
No, we are not ashamed or hopelessly addicted to our intellectual hobby, we are proud readers who love to bond with like-minded people, who won’t waste their time on bashing book lovers, but instead inspire each other 'to read and to click' so that the world can be a better/kinder place to live in.
Credit: pinterest
There, you go! I did my part in educating you about Bookstagrammers surrounding their world with open and close books. And, if you still think only real readers enjoy books in silent, while the rest just post them on Instagram to mess it up and show off, then we would just leave you thinking that Bookstagrammer lives are prettier, more whimsical, more creative than yours. Which is true BTW.
Credit: pinterest
P.s: I will take my book Wherever I go, I will read them Anywhere I want, and I will capture pictures However I want.
Now, off I go to annoy people with my Bookstagramme post!

Comments

  1. Haha this is such a great response. People are always quick to put down others if they do the same task or hobby differently from them. There are bigger problems to worry about that whether a stranger you've never met is a "real" reader because they have lots of cool photos of books. Maybe they should read about said actual problems and give us all peace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And Indeed. I agree with you, people are always judging no matter what you do. Good or bad.

      Delete
  2. Well I liked the pictures of organized and chaos books. I say if it annoys you all you have to do is keep scrolling.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Birth of the Fae: Locked Out of Heaven by Danielle Orsino

About the Book What would you do if all you knew had abandoned you? Abandoned by their creator, two factions of angels remain on earth after the Great War with Lucifer. These Virtues and Power Angels struggle to comprehend their Creator’s plan while their wings, a symbol of their angelic lineage, slowly and painfully decay. Unaware of one another, the angels learn to survive and reinvent themselves. With no hope of returning to the Shining Kingdom, both groups denounce their angelic lineage and develop into their own factions. They call themselves the “Fae.” This is their story. The Fae world is ruled by two distinct courts: the Court of Light, led by Queen Aurora, a former Virtue Angel, and the Court of Dark, ruled by King Jarvok, a former Power Brigade Angel. The two monarchs have opposing views on how to govern their kin and, more importantly, the way humanity plays into their survival. The one belief they agree on is human worship equals power. Exactly how the two go about capturin

Book Review: The L-word By Aastha Atray Banan

photo credit: Shethepeople Blurb In a world where a left swipe means you could be alone and sexless forever and taking a chance could mean you find ‘The One’, the question we often find ourselves asking is, what is love? When romance writer Aastha Atray Banan found herself getting asked questions about the daily struggles of love she decided to start a podcast, Love Aaj Kal, that dealt with everything about love and relationships. The L-Word is about modern love: from ghosting, polyamory, love in the times of social media to more every-day problems like dealing with heartbreak, infidelity and getting out of toxic relationships. Love can be many things – sometimes intimidating, frustrating, and often exhilarating – this book tells you how to make sense of it. My Take On The Book The L Word- Love, Lust, and Everything In-Between , I guess the title is self-explanatory of what the book is about. This is the first book I read by the romance writer Aastha Atray Banan who found her

Reading in Quarantine- #Birthdaybloghop

Books are good company, in sad times and happy times, for books are people – people who have managed to stay alive by hiding between the covers of a book.” – E.B. White With the Coronavirus crisis and most of the nation quarantined inside the comfort of their homes, I can presume all the bookworms silently rejoicing, not that the world is coming to a standstill (that would be rude), but because of the reason that we will have all the possible time in the world to be reading and ticking off our TBR lists (Not precisely though). At least we thought we will have all the possible time in the world to read and read till our eyes are sore, but guess that remind yet another excuse of, ‘maybe, I will start reading tomorrow.' And, one would probably be asking, ‘why read? when we have other things to keep ourselves engaged. There are so many other things to do and catch up with- for instance, binge-watching book adapted series, attending zoom calls, video calling old friends to ch